Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board
The Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board (GRWDB) works to ensure that workforce education and training investments help meet the talent needs of employers. The GRWDB is directly responsible for oversight of Greater Raritan Career Services, a provider of re-employment education and training resources to individuals, and a member of the NJ Career Connections network.
The GRWDB serves both Hunterdon County, NJ and Somerset County, NJ under a Joint Agreement ratified by both Boards of Chosen Commissioners. The GRWDB is comprised of volunteer business, education, labor, economic development, and community leaders who analyze local workforce conditions, oversee the use of federal funds, and set workforce investment policies.
The GRWDB has established the following strategic priorities that guide the daily work of the organization:
- Focus on sector strategies consistent with the New Jersey State (Economic Development) Plan and the New Jersey Combined (workforce development) Plan.
- Build strategic alliances with partners, including those in the economic development arena.
- Coordinate outreach to the business community among the various entities currently engaged in contacting businesses.
- Focus our strategies on career paths versus simply employment.
- Recognize the role that transportation plays in employment.
- Develop additional revenue streams and re-think our finances.
For more information; visit the Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board webpage.
Paul Grzella, Director Somerville, New Jersey 08876
Email Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board
Greater Raritan Unemployment Tracker
Virtual and In-Person Recruitment Session
The Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board and its partners host Virtual and In-Person Recruitment events for a variety of businesses in Hunterdon and Somerset Counties. These events are on the calendar page of www.thegrwdb.org, along with other career-related events hosted by system partners and businesses in the two counties. The calendar is updated regularly so bookmark it to keep the information at your fingertips.
Career Services Surveys Seek Community Input
The first public meeting about The Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board's 2023 Local Plan was conducted on Dec. 6 in Somerville. The meeting drew more than 50 individuals, who attended in person and remotely. They talked about existing local area workforce services, reviewed data about different programs' participants and outcomes, and suggested ways to expand outreach and focus. The four-year plan, being developed in the first quarter of 2023, will help set local workforce system direction. To expand community involvement, the GRWDB has developed three surveys for different groups in the two counties. These include:
- Individuals looking for work or who are already in the workforce - Go here
- Employers looking to hire, with a focus on skills needed right now - Go here
- Social -service agencies assisting individuals with a variety of issues, including career development - Go here
The surveys will be available through Jan. 31, 2023, and the responses will be folded into the report as appropriate. Responses will also be used to help inform strategic direction in 2023.All community stakeholders are invited to fill out the surveys as you see fit - filling out different surveys is just fine, depending upon who you are representing. If you have any questions, contact GRWDB Director Paul Grzella at email@example.com.
Greater Raritan Workforce Development Newsletter
Walk-In Services For Job Seekers in Hunterdon and Somerset Counties
Walk-in, appointment, virtual and phone services are available to career seekers in Somerset and Hunterdon Counties through the Greater Raritan One-Stop Career Center offices in Somerville. The offices are Employment Services and Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) at 75 Veterans Memorial Blvd. in Somerville are open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, excluding state holidays. The Greater Raritan One-Stop Career Training Center on the second floor of 27 Warren St. in Somerville is continuing its pilot of evening hours on Mondays, from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and is also open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday to Friday, excluding county holidays. Because of current staffing capacity, the Greater Raritan One-Stop Career Center at 6 Gauntt Place in Flemington will not be open for walk-in services but is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday by appointment as well as phone and virtual services. That is anticipated to change in the first quarter of 2023.
Unemployment assistance is not available at any Greater Raritan location. Those with unemployment questions may call 732-761-2020 or visit https://myunemployment.nj.gov to explore additional resources or make an appointment for in-person assistance at one of 13 locations around the state.
For career-assistance, call the Training Center at 908-541-5780; email firstname.lastname@example.org. For information on Employment Services, call 908-704-300. For information on DVRS, call 904-704-3030. For more information on general system services, visit the home page of www.thegrwdb.org.
Jersey Job Club Conducts Monthly Workshop Series
The Greater Raritan One-Stop Career Center in Somerville is hosting a series of six Jersey Job Club Workshops every month. These workshops will be virtual, through Zoom, with a limited number of seats are available for in-person attendance at the One-Stop Career Center, 75 Veterans Memorial Drive, Somerville. The workshops are conducted on Mondays. Topics include
- Week one: 9 to 10 a.m.: Path to Employment -: Planning Your Job Search – Workshop 1; followed by, 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Networking – Best (fastest) way to find a job
- Week two: 9 to 10:30 a.m.: Resume Writing Workshop 1 – Top Notch Resume; followed by 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Resume Writing Workshop 2 – Cover Letters and More
- Week three: 9 to 10:30 a.m.: Acing the Interview 1 – Preparing for the Interview; followed by Jan. 30, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Acing the Interview 2 – Answering Interview Questions
For more information, email it to Richard.Peterson@dol.nj.gov, or call 908-704-3000 and ask for Rick or Mary Ann.