Maple Sugaring Living History Program
Pre-registration required. Submit our registration and medical forms by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail to P.O. Box 2900, Flemington, NJ 08822, or drop off at the Hunterdon County Arboretum, 1020 State Highway 31, Lebanon, NJ 08833. Children must by accompanied by an adult.
Living History Day
- Date: Saturday, March 18
- Rain date: Sunday, March 19 (check our website or call 908-782-1158 for cancellation information)
- Session A: 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
- Session B: 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM
- Session C: 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Session D: 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM
- Session E: 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Session F: 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM
- Session G: 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- Session H: 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM
- Session I: 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM
- Session J: 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Location: Echo Hill
- Ages: all (children must be accompanied by an adult)
- Cost: free! (pre-registration is required using registration form, and medical form)
- Session size: limited to 15 participants per session
Native Americans discovered the sweet quality of sugar maple sap before written history. For hundreds, maybe even thousands of years, Native Americans would set up camp in a stand of sugar maples during the sap run. The sugar they produced was an important food for them and for the colonists, who learned the process from the Native Americans. It was only during the 1930s when maple sugar took the form we use today: syrup!
Experience first-hand the North American tradition of maple sugaring at Hunterdon County’s Maple Sugaring Program. You’ll take a trip through time to experience the art of the sugaring process. Along the way you will see an early American Frontiersman taping his trees, visit a sugar “farmer” at his evaporator, and enjoy a Native American story about the discovery of maple sap.
School Field Trips and Other Organized Groups
- Dates: By appointment February 21 through March 19
- Time: 1-hour programs available 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- Cost: $30 for the group.
- Pre-registration required; call 908-782-1158.
*Also available: Maple Sugar To Go! Let us bring Maple Sugaring to your location. 1 hr, $55 in-County only. Call the office to schedule a program.
Maple Tree Tapping & Sap Collection
Visit our In-person Recreational Programs page for information.