- Parks & Recreation
- Take a Photo Tour
Take a Photo Tour
Welcome to Virtual Photo Tours of the Hunterdon County Parks and Recreation Division. By visiting us virtually, you can get a taste of the many trails to be explored in Hunterdon County's Parks. Find out about some of the interesting plants and animals that can be found in Hunterdon County. Enjoy your visit!
If you feel you may have found an identification error, feel free to email us with suggested corrections.
Clover Hill Park
Clover Hill Park consists of 119 acres of farmland and woods in Raritan Township.
Cold Brook Preserve
These 287 acres of rolling fields and old pastures lie within the historic district of Oldwick in Tewksbury Township. Reminiscent of its agrarian past, the preserve is still being farmed by a local farmer who has leased the fields.
This 269-acre nature preserve in Bethlehem Township serves as an island of green in the area north of I-78.
The Columbia Trail is a popular 7-mile rail trail with a great deal of local history.
Hunterdon County Arboretum
The Arboretum began as a commercial nursery along Route 31 in 1953. The owner, George Bloomer, grew both native and exotic trees, including amur cork trees and dawn redwoods. In 1974, 73 acres of the property were set aside by the Parks Division as a place to observe and study natural science.
Crystal Springs Preserve
Crystal Springs Preserve has multiple ponds that are the headwaters of the Spruce Run. It is a great location for fishing or wildlife watching.
Cushetunk Mountain Nature Preserve
These mountains in Clinton Township were formed by volcanic activity during the Triassic period over 160 million years ago.
Deer Path Park
Deer Path Park is the location of several large events, including the summer Music Under the Stars series. The park features rentable pavilions, sports fields, picnic tables, and a playground.
Echo Hill Park
Echo Hill was originally a farm, established in 1836. In 1936, the property was purchased by Robert and Hermia Lechner, who created a summer camp for boys. The following year, the camp was expanded to permit girls. Many of the existing farm structures were destroyed during the conversion to a camp, but salvaged beams from the barn were used in the dining hall (now the Main Lodge). Many camp structures remain.
This 354-acre park is comprised of hardwood forest, grasslands, and over 32 ponds of various sizes.
This 237-acre nature preserve is located on the peak of the Musconetcong Mountain near West Portal. It can trace its name to the rock ledges where moonshiners hid their jugs to avoid government authorities during Prohibition. However, the main history of the preserve is in mining.
The 1.5 mile Landsdown Trail was once a spur line for the Lehigh Valley Railroad. The line was completed in 1882 and connected the town of Clinton with the hamlet of Landsdown.
Laport Reserve features a loop trail through various types of forest and fields.
Miquin Woods was once a Boy Scout summer camp. The Spruce Run flows through the center of the property, and the varied habitat makes a great place to look for birds and other wildlife.
Musconetcong Gorge Preserve
This 523-acre preserve was originally owned by the Warren Glen Paper Mill. The mill, located adjacent to the park, started production in 1873 and closed in 2006.
Point Mountain, along with the Musconetcong Gorge, is part of the Musconetcong Mountain Range. Point Mountain, at 935 feet above the sea level, is the one of the highest points in the county.
Round Mountain formed during the Triassic Period. Round Mountain reaches an elevation of 600 feet above sea level.
Schick Reserve consists of 8 miles of trails over 311 acres in Alexandria Township.
Sourland Mountain Nature Preserve
Sourland Mountain Nature Preserve consists of 364 acres of the Sourland Mountain range and is comprised of a deciduous forest with a swamp surrounded by two streams.
South Branch Reservation
Explore the South Branch Reservation through the photo gallery.
Teetertown Preserve was once a farm and mining operation, and now provides 302 acres of trails, ponds, a ravine, and campsites for the public to enjoy.
Tower Hill Reserve
This former farm and its surroundings are comprised of 158 acres of meadows, woodlands, and wetlands.
Union Furnace Nature Preserve
This 95-acre nature preserve located in Union Township was named after the colonial ironworks that flourished here from 1742 to 1781.
The name “Uplands” pertains to the geographical area located along the eastern rim of the Hunterdon Plateau. Totaling 101 acres, Uplands Reserve reaches 500 feet in elevation.
Wescott Nature Preserve
Wescott was the first County park, donated in 1966. Several trails take visitors along the Lockatong Creek and through meadows and forests.