Main Street County Complex
71 Main Street - Building #3B
PO Box 2900
Flemington, New Jersey 08822-2900
- SUPERVISION: Municipal tax assessors carry out their duties under the direct supervision
of the County Tax Administrator and the County Board of Taxation.
- ASSESSMENT: The County Tax Board by resolution establishes the percentage of true value
at which all real property in the county must be assessed.
- EQUALIZATION: Annually the Tax Administrator ascertains the level of assessment in each
taxing district in order to distribute the costs of county government equitably
among the taxing districts within the County. The Board reviews and certifies
the Equalization Table.
- CALCULATION OF
TAX RATES: Annually the Tax Administrator prepares the County
Abstract of Ratables (or Table of Aggregates) to calculate the tax rate for
each municipality within the County. The Board review and certifies the tax
SYSTEM: Under the New Jersey Property Tax System (MOD IV),
the County Board of Taxation, in cooperation with the municipalities, supplies
and maintains the computer taxation system used by assessing officers within
- RECORD MAINTENANCE: Some records maintained at the County Tax Board office include: Tax lists
for each municipality, tax maps for each taxing district, a list of SR-1A's
reflecting property sales information and tax appeal judgments rendered by
- APPELLATE DUTIES: See "Understanding Tax Appeal Hearings"
- PETITION FOR APPEAL FORM: www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/lpt/petappl.pdf